View Olowalu Petroglyphs Ride in a larger map
Directions to the Olowalu Cultural Reserve and Petroglyphs
From Boss Frog’s, 150 Lahainaluna Rd., Lahaina:
- Head southwest on Lahainaluna Rd toward Luakini St 384 ft.
- Turn left at Front St 1.3 mi
- Turn right at Honoapiilani Hwy/State Hwy 30 for 4.4 miles
- You will come up to a grove of trees that stretch over the highway and Olowalu Store will be on your left.
- Pull off the highway before you get to the store and take the small road that goes behind it for about 100 feet and turn left at the huge tree.
- A small sign will indicate that the petroglyphs and cultural reserve are ahead.
- Take the dirt road toward the Mountain for just about .5 miles.
- A Picnic table is under the trees on your left for shade and rest and is a fine place for a picnic lunch. On your right is Pu’u Kilea with close to 70 petroglyphs. Please be respectful, some of these petroglyphs are thought to be over 300 years old.
- Follow the road a few yards further toward the mountain and bear left. Here you will see the signs welcoming you to the Olowalu Cultural Reserve ahupua’a. Follow whichever of the three roads you prefer and go slowly as there may be pedestrians and volunteers working. At the end closest to the mountain there is a bridge that leads to another picnic table and a beautiful Kalo Plateau. Plenty of signs explain the many aspects of the Reserve.
- On the way back to Boss Frog’s, check out Laniopoko Beach park for more fun in the shade and sun.