Makawao Forest Reserve mountain biking directions and map
Directions to the Makawao Forest Reserve from Kmart, near Kahului airport:
- From Kmart, Head East on Hana Hwy, State Hwy 36 towards Haleakala.
- Turn right at Haleakala Hwy, State Hwy 37.
- Turn left on Makawao Ave.
- Turn right on Piiholo Rd.
- Continue past Piiholo Zipline Adventures and veer left at Waiahiwi Rd.
- Continue onto Kahakapao Rd.
- If there is room, park here outside the gate, If not then you can either park in Makawao or park further on inside the gate approximately 1/4 Mile on the right is a parking lot. Just note the hours on the signs and leave before the reserve closes.
The Trail Itself
At the end of Kahakapao Rd you will reach a gate. If the gate is open drive to the gravel parking lot ahead. If closed, you will have to park there. Jump the gate and continue up the road to the gravel parking lot. In the corner of the parking lot there is another gate you have to get over. Once over, ascend up the trails into the forest. There are signs for the East and West loop. Tool around the area its nearly impossible to get lost. There is a jump line on the other side of the road opposite the gravel parking lot. Be careful, the tree roots can be a bit slick.